Thanks for visiting my site.
I’m a children’s picture book author, podcaster, audiobook narrator and book reviewer. In my day job, I do marketing and publicity for a large regional library service and run over forty book clubs. I’m also a Mum of 3!
I used to be a radio announcer for many, many years. Sydneysiders may have heard me as the host of Hope Mornings on Hope 103.2. I was also the founder and original host of The Hope Book Club podcast and created Australia’s Invisible History podcast with my father-in-law, Dr Paul Roe, The Outback Historian.
I’m passionate about child welfare, books, the arts, leaf tea and I love a really good cheese. (I blame my Dad for my cheese addiction). I enjoy listening to folky/bluesy/roots music and for a few years I played in a covers band in Sydney called Hunters Hill Collectors. I have to get outdoors regularly for my sanity!
In 2005 I travelled to West Papua and it changed my life. Hopefully one day I’ll find a way to write about it.
I grew up on the Murrumbidgee River at Darlington Point, near Griffith, and after twenty years of big city life in Sydney, I recently relocated with my family to Wagga Wagga, in the beautiful Riverina. I love being back on Wiradjuri country, seeing the Murrumbidgee River flowing under big skies and bumping into someone I know every time I leave the house. Wagga Wagga has a vibrant arts community and being back home is inspiring me to write local stories.
I still have a dream to live in Edinburgh one day, where I would drink tea, eat cheese, write a novel and walk everywhere. If you’re reading this from Edinburgh, let’s talk about a house swap sometime!
Still want to know more about Katrina? Click here.
Awards and Shortlists… (It’s only a short list!)
- 2023 Same, First Place, The 2022 Forevability Book Awards, Australian Picture Book Category
- 2022, Australia’s Invisible History, Finalist, CMAA Excellence in Media Awards, Compelling Content – Audio
- 2019 Lily’s Balloon, Winner, Caleb Prize, Children’s Picture Book Section
- 2018 Gemma gets the Jitters, Recommended Title, Australian Family Therapists Award for Children’s Literature
- 2018 Gemma gets the Jitters, Finalist, Caleb Prize, Children’s Book Section
- 2018 When I Was Twelve, (Unpublished manuscript) Highly Commended and Top 3 Finalist, CYA Competition Published Author Section
- 2016 Same, Finalist, Caleb Prize, Children’s Picture Books Section
- 2015 Emily Eases her Wheezes, Notable Book, Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Awards, Eve Pownall Award for Information Books
- 2014 Lily’s Balloon, Winner, Pitching Session: Picture Books, NSW Writer’s Centre Kids & YA Festival
- 2013 Marty’s Nut-Free Party, Shortlisted, Speech Pathology Book of the Year, Primary Section
- 2013 Marty’s Nut-Free Party, Finalist, Caleb Prize, Children’s Book Section
- 2013 In God’s Hands, Finalist, Caleb Prize (Anthology)
- 2007 On the Beaten Track, Shortlisted, New Holland NSW Writer’s Centre Genre Fiction Award